Friday, November 16, 2018

The Purugespettai tales - 2 Lunch time

You should know that my grandparents was not very rich. But they had enough to ensure that their kids ate healthy. It still amazes me but during those days, they found it cheaper to buy fish than vegetables. So, it's all the Omega 3 from the seafood that made my mom and her siblings all bright and successful.

Since there were 5 kids aged with sufficient age gap, I believe there has to be at least a year or two where all of them must have gone to the same school. Anyway, the kids were in school 3 miles away and they commute only by walk. Of course, sometimes prison vans from Keppar malai Jail have dropped them to Cuddalore OT and mother swears that she's seen deadly criminals in the back seat. I believe her. Since this is also my favorite part of this episode, you should believe it too.

Breakfast usually Idly with thengai chutney so let's not dwell on that too much. But I would like to point out that anything hand ground using ural and ammi tastes extraordinary. So, the grandma wasn't all that into cooking and had an old lady called Raaspettai as her cook. During lunch, she brings a lunch carrier that's almost a foot tall and has the following (mostly)

1. Keerai
2. Fish Kozhambu
3. Fish fry
4. Rasam
5. Steamed rice

I know it isn't really a king's meal but even a king would be tempted by this simple meal. Imagine sitting under a tree during a hot afternoon with your siblings and enjoying a lunch.

*Sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Purugespettai tales - 2 Lunch time

You should know that my grandparents was not very rich. But they had enough to ensure that their kids ate healthy. It still amazes me but d...